As we noted recently Stone Crab season is now underway in South Florida and we couldn’t think of a more appropriate time to compile a Top 10 List of the area’s best purveyors of this succulent seafood — from Miami to Boca Raton. Check ‘em out and enjoy!
Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami was the first restaurant to take advantage of a bay full of crustaceans, years after opening as a “humble lunch counter” in 1913 by owner Joe Weiss. That all changed in 1921 when James Allison built an aquarium at the foot of the bay and Fifth Street and invited a Harvard ichthyologist to Miami to do research. This expert asked Weiss if he’d ever thought of serving stone crabs, then brought a burlap bag filled live ones with to Weiss’ restaurant, where they debated over how to best cook them until finally Weiss just threw them in boiling water. When the restaurant began serving them cracked with hash brown potatoes and cole slaw, they were an instant success. The rest, as they say, is history. Today you can enjoy this delicious treat at the restaurant, or in your own home by having the stone crabs delivered right to your door. If you do head to Miami, keep in mind that Joe’s does not take reservations, unless you have a party of 20 or more — for which they may accommodate you in a private dining room.
2. Billy’s Stone Crabs Restaurant – Located in Hollywood Beach, Billy’s starts serving lunch at 12 Noon every day, seven days per week amid a waterfront atmosphere. In addition to an extensive seafood menu which includes fresh Florida Yellow Tail Snapper and Florida Black Grouper, you’ll also find a mouthwatering selection of stone crabs which you can indulge in at the restaurant or enjoy in the privacy of your own dining room since Billy’s will ship them out to you, no matter where you live. You might also try their signature mustard and jumbo Alaskan king crab legs.
3. Garcia’s Seafood Grille & Fish Market – In business for over 20 years and located on the famous Miami River, Garcia’s has received numerous awards and accolades, including Best Waterfront Dining in Miami by the Miami New Times. With their own fleet of fishing boats, the establishment ensures your dining satisfaction by providing the seafood fresh from the ocean and delivered right to your plate.
4. Monty’s South Beach – Their tagline reads. “When in South Beach there’s only one place to go” and we tend to agree. Whether you’re craving stone crabs, raw bar selections like oysters and clams, conch chowder or a frozen drink at Happy Hour, it’s worth the drive to Monty’s to soak up some sun, listen to great music and savor the mouthwatering offerings. See you there!
Jake’s Stone Crab, located in the heart of Boca, is the quintessential restaurant for fare from the sea. In addition to succulent stone crabs, our welcoming restaurant serves gourmet seafood selections and some of South Florida’s Best steaks. Owner David Leschen, a 35-year industry veteran, has worked along side Jake’s friendly wait staff for many years, which explains the great dynamic in the restaurant. “We’re like family.” It’s a description the staff’s down-to-earth and professional style exemplifies, providing a relaxing dining experience and the perfect place to visit with family and friend, either on the restaurant’s outdoor terrace or in the inviting dining room.
6. Best Stone Crabs -Purveyors of premium seafood products including stone crabs, Best Stone Crabs offers a wide selection of gift boxes ranging from three-to-ten pounds. Their tempting menu also includes shrimp, fresh fish, shellfish, sauces and condiments, desserts and so much more — perfect for Holiday gift-giving!
7. Mister Fish Seafood - Owned and managed by the original Mister Fish Mike Montella, Mister Fish Seafood has been providing the utmost in fresh fish and seafood — including stone crabs, live and cooked lobster and salmon, for over 25 years. Oh and don’t forget Fish in a Flash!
Our Fish in a Flash delivery division — shipping overnight orders nationwide via FedEx, and the Mrs. Fish pre-packaged product line have been met with great success. Fish in a Flash brings fresh seafood catches and the exotic stone crab to every doorstep, no matter where in the country they may be. We look forward to serving you with the quality and pride that has set us apart for over 25 years.
Today, George Stone Crab is largest national stone crab home delivery company. The company delivers by Mini Cooper in South Florida. And if you live as far as Anchorage, LA or Boston (Canada too), George will ship them to you overnight – never frozen.
George Stone Crab also has a robust export business, with distributors in Guatemala, Mexico, Turks & Caicos, Nicaragua, Panama and Venezuela. Through its distribution centers in Keys, and Miami (blocks from the city’s river), the company ships stone crabs to dozens of markets, fish houses and (shhhh) some very high profile restaurants.
With just one stone crab season in its history, George already sponsors the Food Network, South Beach Wine and Food Festival, it’s sister the New York Wine & Food Festival and a host of other events.
9. Florida Stone Crab – Ok so technically this one isn’t actually located in South Florida, but on the water in Hudson on the Gulf Coast. Still, for over 30 years Florida Stone Crab has been providing the freshest, hand-picked stone crab claws — which the family-owned and operated company also delivers fresh anywhere in the continental USA, Alaska and Hawaii.
10. Old Dixie Seafood – Located in Boca Raton at 7000 North Dixie Highway, halfway between Yamato Rd. and Linton Blvd:
Old Dixie Seafood offers local clientele and nationwide overnight shipping of Florida Stone Crabs, Florida Lobster Tails, Shrimp, Salmon, Fish Filets & Steaks, Salads, and our Infamous Smoked Marlin Spead to all destinations within the continental United States. We provide our clientele the best in fresh daily catches, frozen items, and specialty items. We are pleased to service all of South Florida and we can also Fedex overnight any of our products on this website.
Have we tempted your taste buds for stone crabs? Please send us your feedback if you decide to order them from any of the places listed above. Bon Appetit!