Spring is almost here and the selection of fresh spring veggies that is available with more frequency just makes me DROOL and it also makes me want to make salads … lots and lots of salads!
Super healthy, lightly dressed and bite after bite of guiltless crunchy pleasure … that is a fennel and asparagus ribbon salad.
I was inspired to make this salad after reading this post on Smitten Kitchen: Ribboned Asparagus Salad with Lemon
I have a weird relationship with asparagus – I want to like it but when it is cooked, I rarely like it. Fresh, spring-y, raw and ribboned – I LOVE IT. Dress it up a bit and add some fennel and parmesan reggiano and pine nuts drizzled with olive oil and lemon – I WANT TO EAT IT ALL THE TIME.
Perfect for spring and perfect for your body – go get some asparagus and fennel now! And tell us all about it on #FennelFriday!
|Fennel & Asparagus Ribbon Salad||
- 1 pound asparagus, washed and ribboned with a peeler
- 1 large fennel bulb – sliced thinly
- 1 lemon halved
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Pepper
- 1 – 2 oz Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup nuts – I used toasted pine nuts
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin asparagus ribbons from stalk to tip.
- Discard the tips and tough ends when done.
- I used a mandolin to slice the fennel.
- Pile the sliced fennel and asparagus ribbons on a salad plate.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over the fennel and asparagus and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Toss gently with your hand.
- Shave some Parmesan and place on top of each salad.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Serve and EAT!